If my holiday to Turkey has taught me one thing, it’s never to underestimate the power of the sun! I think I got carried away with the beach environment and stupidly thought that having dark skin would give me a pass. Errrr no!
A week later and I can clearly see where I’ve roasted myself, on my forehead, nose, hands, feet, shins, arms and chest, despite slathering SPF on myself when I ventured outside. Not being used to all this sun lotion application malarky, I’d often forget to reapply when I came out of the pool and that’s where I went wrong as I left myself exposed to the sun’s rays. On my face, I used Shiseido Urban Environment UV Protection Cream SPF35 – again, forgetting to reapply when I came out of the pool!
Remember, the more intense the sun, the greater your exposure to UV rays.The sun is typically at its strongest between 11am-4pm, so take particular care during these hours.
Below are just a few of the sun lotions we had on rotation during our week out there. We all have different skin tones, hence the varying SPF protection. I opted for SPF30-SPF15, but also used the SPF50 on occasion too.
1. Nivea Sun Moisturising Sun Spray SPF15 – available here
2. Biotherm Lait Solaire SPF30* – available here
3. Nivea Sun Invisible Protection Spray SPF50 – available here
4. Solait Tan Activating SPF15 – available here
5. Korres Walnut & Coconut Suntan Oil SPF10* – I think this may have been discontinued. Shame, as it smells amazing and makes you tan like noone’s business in as little as half an hour!
You can clearly see the difference in skin tone on my arm caused by the position of my hotel wristband, and also the last of my heat rash. I’m giving my skin a break for another week and then I’m going to have a facial and a full body scrub treatment.
Bottom line, no matter your skin tone, make sure you use adequate sun protection!
*Products marked with an * were PR samples.